Wednesday, November 23, 2005

The Media

The Internet in China

Before, I came here; I was mistaken in thinking that China has implemented strict communication policies. I have learned that there is no risk, in expressing your opinion about the political or economic conditions of the country. I am not sure if the government restricts content that networks broadcast, because I can’t understand Chinese but none of the teachers seem to be aware of previous limitations that China imposed upon people in the 1980s (not everyone is politically minded). There is no federal firewall on the Internet; I am able to access any internet site that I want to go to. However, there was a recent meeting among the leaders in China where the topic of discussion was, how to regulate content on the website to ensure that citizens receive information that is accurate and not misleading. I am sure that many countries are faced with the same problem. I am confident in stating that in the future, lone individuals will not easily be able to manipulate the Internet as they can now. A lot of money and power can be gained by monopolizing the Internet. Sorry for the rambling, it has been a long time since I have engaged in a hearty political discussion with anyone. As you all know, this is something that I thrive on in order to pacify the constant chatter in my brain.

2 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Blogger King Midas said...

Thank you for writing this I didnt know that this was the case.

I too was under the impression that they locked up the internet!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger theconversationroom said...

Hi Tanker,

Well, this was the information I gathered in 2003. It may have changed since then.

Glad you enjoyed the info

 

Post a Comment

<< Home