Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Monday, September 1, 2003

First Day of Teaching

My first class begins at 8:20am and ends at 10:30. We have a twenty-minute break in between the hours. The classes here operate by levels, there is:
Level 1 - beginner to minimal English skills
Level 2 - medium, has some knowledge of English but poor grammar
Level 3 - advanced English
We have a break from 10:30-2:30pm and then classes resume from 2:30-5:30. On Monday, I taught level 3 and level 2. The material we covered was the same because it will take the students quite some time to get used to my Canadian accent. My students are very kind and eager to learn English from me. I was surprised to discover that their English skills are quite strong for ESL students. My senior class is quite big; there are thirty+ students in it, which makes for a challenging lesson plan. I have been asked to work on their pronunciation, which is quite difficult to do when you have thirty or more students to listen to. My middle class, is quite small, it was perfect because we could sit in a circle and conduct a dialogue with each other. The other teachers have told me that they have heard the students tell each other that they are very excited to have me as a teacher. In knowing that, I have more confidence in my ability to teach them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home